The service having id "_lv_draugiem" is missing, reactivate its module or save again the list of services.
Daugavpils TOP 10
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre is a multifunctional complex of contemporary art, culture and education situated in the Arsenal building at Daugavpils Fortress. It is the only place in Eastern Europe where the original masterpieces of the famous painter and the founder of the abstract expressionism Mark Rothko can be seen.
Each traveler who wants to get acquainted with Daugavpils should definitely visit the Church Hill that has gathered the churches of four different confessions. Martin Luther Cathedral designed by V. Neimanis was built in 1893. Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1905, and later in 1909 it acquired an organ created by A. Homan from Poland. SS Boris and Gleb Russian Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1905 as a garrison church. Church of the Community of Old Believers was built in 1908–1928.
Here, in the artificially created jungles, a visitor can see spotted pythons, spectacled caimans bathing in the sun, red koi carps swimming in the ponds, playful macaques and sugar gliders jumping in the lianas and other swimming, whistling, crawling, hopping and flying tropical creatures. Children can stroke a furry rabbit, play with touching guinea-pigs and feed exotic fishes in the pond.
The only one available for tourists ammunition plant in the Baltic States, where is the oldest shot tower in Europe, that still works. Examination of historical devices of the lead casting, with which molten lead gets the ideal bullet shape, falling from a height of 40 meters.There is the historical exposition of hunting ammunition. After the excursion everyone can try products in the factory dash. Note: excursions are not conducted during the runtime of the factory orders.
One of the oldest museums in Latgale, founded in 1938. Located at 8 Rigas Street, in a magnificent eclectic building constructed in 1883. The facades are decorated with coloured glazed tiles, and the entrances have openwork metal roofs covered by glass. Each entrance is guarded by two sculptures of lions. The museum has the room of the Daugavpils painter Leonid Baulin. The museum offers cultural, historical and nature displays.
Easy science for children:
- exhibits that allow to look at things from a different and unusual point of view;
- exciting and educational activities;
- unusual experiments;
- guided tours for school classes and families;
- entertaining and educational festive parties.
Daugavpils synagogue Kadish built in 1850 is located at 38 Cietoksna Street. It is a corner building in the central part of the city with the facades facing Lacplesa and Cietoksna Streets. The engineering equipment of the building was repaired after the Second World War, and in 2005, with the support provided by M. Rothko’s children, the synagogue was fully restored. Latvia’s ex-president Vaira Vike-Freiberga took part in the opening ceremony of the renovated synagogue.
Daugavpils, Rigas Street from Daugavas Street till Cietoksna Street, Cietoksna Street till Saknu Street, Saknu Street till Stacijas Street, Stacijas Street till Lacplesha Street, Lacplesha Street till Viestura Street, Viestura Street till Raina Street, Raina Street till Alejas Street, Alejas Street till 18 Novembra Street, 18 Novembra Street till Daugavas Street, Daugavas Street till Raina Street.
Daugavpils Clay Art Center is erected in the renewed ceramics workshop in 8 18 Novembra Street. It is a modern cultural and tourism object. This is an interesting observation object for city residents and visitors. While visiting the center, you can observe the newly created wood kiln and the landscaped courtyard. You can observe summer activities - ceramics master classes, lectures and exhibitions – from new made summer exhibit gallery.