The service having id "_lv_draugiem" is missing, reactivate its module or save again the list of services.
Cultural and historical sites
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre is a multifunctional complex of contemporary art, culture and education situated in the Arsenal building at Daugavpils Fortress. It is the only place in Eastern Europe where the original masterpieces of the famous painter and the founder of the abstract expressionism Mark Rothko can be seen.
Each traveler who wants to get acquainted with Daugavpils should definitely visit the Church Hill that has gathered the churches of four different confessions. Martin Luther Cathedral designed by V. Neimanis was built in 1893. Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1905, and later in 1909 it acquired an organ created by A. Homan from Poland. SS Boris and Gleb Russian Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1905 as a garrison church. Church of the Community of Old Believers was built in 1908–1928.
The only one available for tourists ammunition plant in the Baltic States, where is the oldest shot tower in Europe, that still works. Examination of historical devices of the lead casting, with which molten lead gets the ideal bullet shape, falling from a height of 40 meters.There is the historical exposition of hunting ammunition. After the excursion everyone can try products in the factory dash. Note: excursions are not conducted during the runtime of the factory orders.
One of the oldest museums in Latgale, founded in 1938. Located at 8 Rigas Street, in a magnificent eclectic building constructed in 1883. The facades are decorated with coloured glazed tiles, and the entrances have openwork metal roofs covered by glass. Each entrance is guarded by two sculptures of lions. The museum has the room of the Daugavpils painter Leonid Baulin. The museum offers cultural, historical and nature displays.
Easy science for children:
- exhibits that allow to look at things from a different and unusual point of view;
- exciting and educational activities;
- unusual experiments;
- guided tours for school classes and families;
- entertaining and educational festive parties.
Daugavpils was one of the first Latvian cities to turn its central street into a pedestrian mall at the end of the 1970s. About half a kilometer long Rigas Street is the busiest street of the city leading from the railway station to the Daugava River, with a passage through the embankment to the former landing place. In 2009, the city finished the reconstruction of Rigas Street, as a result of which Daugavpils got an excellent example of harmonious synthesis of the past and the present.
The stage in Stropi is the cultural-historical complex, situated in a scenic place with interesting relief and is the place for carrying out big folklore events, song festivals and performances. It is significant that on June 15 and 16 in 1940, Latgalian Song Festival took place at Daugavpils Stropi stage, with 8000 participants and 50 000 listeners from all over Latvia and it was the last Latvian Song Festival of independent Latvia.
A unique 6-km long engineering structure along the bank of the Daugava River, which not only protects the city against floods, but also serves as a road. The protection embankment was designed by Pavel Melnikov, a military engineer-captain, and constructed in 1830–1841. In some places the embankment is 9 meters higher than the water level in the river.
Daugavpils synagogue Kadish built in 1850 is located at 38 Cietoksna Street. It is a corner building in the central part of the city with the facades facing Lacplesa and Cietoksna Streets. The engineering equipment of the building was repaired after the Second World War, and in 2005, with the support provided by M. Rothko’s children, the synagogue was fully restored. Latvia’s ex-president Vaira Vike-Freiberga took part in the opening ceremony of the renovated synagogue.
The most dramatic changes in the economic life of Dinaburg (Daugavpils) were introduced by the opening of Petersburg – Dinaburg – Warsaw and Riga – Dinaburg – Oryol railways lines in 1860 and 1861. The Petersburg – Warsaw railway line together with bridges, viaducts and some railway stations was designed by Stanislav Kerbedz, an engineer of the Polish origin. Daugavpils is a railway hub with 5 railway lines. The present building of the railway station was constructed in 1951.
Daugavpils, Rigas Street from Daugavas Street till Cietoksna Street, Cietoksna Street till Saknu Street, Saknu Street till Stacijas Street, Stacijas Street till Lacplesha Street, Lacplesha Street till Viestura Street, Viestura Street till Raina Street, Raina Street till Alejas Street, Alejas Street till 18 Novembra Street, 18 Novembra Street till Daugavas Street, Daugavas Street till Raina Street.
Located at 8 Rigas Street, 41 Saules Street, 55 Saules Street and built at the end of the 19th – the beginning of the 20th century. Their facades are richly decorated with moldings and other ornamental elements.
Daugavpils is exceptionally rich in red brick buildings. This style was developed by many outstanding architects. In Daugavpils this variety of eclecticism is most widely represented in the buildings designed by Wilhelm Neumann, an architect of the German origin, who was the chief architect of Daugavpils from 1878 to 1895. Bright examples of brick architecture are the buildings at 1/3 Saules Street and at 8 Muzeja Street.
The Polish House is the only property belonging to Polish community in Latvia. The Polish House building was purchased in 1930 with resources gathered by the Polish community, during the Soviet times the building was expropriated, but was returned to the Poles after Latvia regained its independence and in 1997 the Polish Culture Centre was established with support of Daugavpils City Council.
The dominating structure of the historical centre is the Unity House built during the years of the First Republic (22a Rigas Street). The Unity House was constructed at the suggestion of the country’s president Karlis Ulmanis using donations and funds provided by the state. The corner stone was laid in 1936, and on December 19, 1937, the blessing of the building and the opening ceremony took place.
The museum exposition tells about Jewish life and living traditions in Latgale and Daugavpils since 1935. The exposition represents the change in the number of Jews, sibling’s stories in photos, household and religious items as well as a variety of publications: magazines, calendars and books about Jews life in Daugavpils and Latgale.
The enthusiasts of Daugavpils Chess and Checkers Museum have studied and compiled information about the history of chess in Daugavpils and Latgale Region from the 19th century up to the present day. All these information is available in Daugavpils Chess and Checkers Museum that is the first museum of its kind in Latvia.
The exhibition of "Terra Mariana" album's facsimile
The exhibition takes place in the lobby on the 2nd floor of Daugavpils University (DU) building, Vienibas iela 13. The album itself is a property of Vatican Library, it was presented to the Pope Leo XIII in 1888 by the inhabitants of the Baltic region as a gift on the 50th anniversary of the Pope's ordination.
You can explore the handicrafts, rustic tools, household items of Daugavpils district of 19 and early 20 centuries, look at weaving and spinning, as well as look at an apartment of Daugavpils resident of the prosperous middle class of the 20 century. Knowledgeable storytellers will meet you. The entrance from Saules Street.